The pursuit to remain looking as young as long as you can has become an important passion for many people, especially baby boomers. Not only women, but men as well, have become very conscious of the appearance of their skin. Women, especially though, want to maintain smooth, soft and wrinkle free skin. Taking good care of your skin is very important, not just for vanity as you grow older, but for your health and well being.
We tend to forget that our skin is not only one of our most important vital organs, but the largest one, as well. Our skin is the organ that is the first and most exposed of our organs to potential harmful elements in our environment. So as we take appropriate steps for better care of our heart, our lungs, and our endocrine system, it is important to consider the health of our skin.
Throughout our life, these are some of the very important functions that our skin has been doing for us.
1) Our skin has been protecting our internal organs from harmful injuries and has acted as a defense against dangerous infections and bacteria.
2) Just as our liver and kidneys have acted to detoxify our bodies, our skin has been detoxifying our bodies through perspiration.
3) Our skin has been a regulatory thermostat helping to control the flow of heat in our bodies.
4) Vitamin D, an important vitamin, has been produced and stored by our skin.
5) Our skin has acted as a sensory receptor that has faithfully alerted us to important elements such as hot, cold, sharp, and rough substances.
6) Our skin has kept us from becoming dehydrated.
In the quest to have healthy skin for your entire life, it is important to choose carefully from among the hundreds of skin care products. Just because the ingredients in skin care products are not swallowed does not mean that potentially harmful elements do not affect our bodies. Everything we put on our skin is absorbed into our bodies.
Therefore, products that contain certain ingredients such as parabens, phenol carbolic acids, propylene glycol, acrylamide, sodium laurel or lauryl sulfate, toluene, dioxane, mineral oil, paraffin, and petrolatum should be avoided as you take care of your skin. These elements have been known to interfere with our bodies endocrine system, cause circulatory and respiratory problems, cause kidney or liver abnormalities and damage, skin irritations, possible links to cancer and tumors, cause a breakdown of the skins moisture barrier, problems with anemia and blood cell count, slow cellular development, and have possible harmful effects to fetus development.
If that isn’t scary enough, it is interesting that some of these very ingredients are found in products such as antifreeze, windshield cleaners, engine degreasers and garage floor cleaners.
In addition to using healthy skin care products for good care of your skin, watch for these same ingredients in perfumes and fragrance oils.
It is always wise to protect your skin from harsh winds, extreme heat, and cold. Avoid the use of harsh soaps and wash your skin gently. Refrain from smoking which causes deep lines and skin deterioration. And, of course, avoid the harsh rays of the sun.